Thursday, January 28, 2010

A Word from the Groundnut Gallery

22 January 2010
I went to the meeting for African pop band today! I think it’ll be a lot of fun. Here’s what I hadn’t realized but think will be pretty cool: It’s made up of all international students. The professor who organizes it (his name is Fish) finds students every semester and teaches a bit then lets us explore on our own and do a concert at the end of the semester.
This evening I decided I was craving groundnut soup. Sadly, Mercy’s is the only place I’ve had it and I have yet to find it anywhere else. So we made some! Well, we made groundnut something. Alex already had a couple pans, so we went to the night market right outside our hostel and got rice, oil, canned tomato-ness, pepper, onion, and curry powder. We already had some groundnut and paste and groundnuts. There was no possible option but deliciousness. We threw it all in the pan and made a fine Ghanaian meal. Because as Kwame had told us earlier, Ghanaian cooking is finding some food and putting it in a pot. And that is what we did. Oh man. I’m still sure I could eat groundnut something every meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment